When considering a basement remodel, realize that with a finished basement, you will not only gain useful square footage to enjoy life, but also increase your home’s equity. If you plan on staying in your home for a reasonable period of time before selling it, a basement remodel can boost your quality of life by giving you even more space to enjoy with family and friends year-round.
Basement remodels rank among the highest for projects that return definite value
Basement remodeling projects rank high on their Return on Investment (ROI), so they are worth considering! In general, remodeled basements give homeowners about a 70% ROI. What that means is that for every $1,000 you invest, you are likely to get $700 back when you sell your home. A higher ROI increases the selling price for your home. MN Contractor Pros can help you make the most out of your existing square footage by finishing off your basement.
If you are selling your home soon, you are wise to simply leave the unfinished basement and allow the new homeowners to start with a clean canvas when they want to remodel the basement. But if you plan to live in the home for a while before selling, a basement remodel project may be a smart move.
When you look for places to invest your hard earned money, get the maximum value on your investment by choosing home improvement projects that increase your quality of life and boost your home equity.
Why homeowners choose to remodel their basements
1. Remodeling a basement is less expensive than an addition.
Gain valuable square footage in your home with a basement remodel without the hassle of constructing an addition. Save in overall costs and enjoy the end result in a shorter timeframe than adding an addition.
2. Financing options make a basement remodel easy.
Attractive financing options make a basement remodel doable, and with the high ROI, it’s easy to justify the expense.
3. Adding a home office in the basement can qualify you for a tax benefit.
There’s nothing like being rewarded on your taxes for investing money in your own home by adding a home office for your business.
4. Enjoying a finished basement makes remodeling worthwhile.
The end result of a finished basement is a variety of memories and opportunities it opens to you and your family. You can’t put a price tag on family time, movie nights, gatherings, teen hang-out space in your home, a theater room, a mother-in-law suite for your parents, a music room for your kids, a playroom for your children or grandchildren, a spare bedroom and bathroom for guests, or a workout room to help keep you and your family fit. Basement remodeling ideas are endless.
What to consider before remodeling your basement
- Decide how long it will be before you sell your home
- Consider the overall cost of the basement remodel
- Look at the current condition of your basement
- Select what type of materials you plan to use for the remodel
- Discover if there are any foundation or moisture issues that need to be addressed before remodeling
- Check how high the ceilings are
- Understand that the more a basement feels like an above ground space, the more value it will have in the long run
- Notice how much natural light the basement has
- Discover if finishing your basement will make the resale price of your home proportionate to other homes in the neighborhood
- Types of basements
1. Full walk-out basements
This is the most luxurious type of basement and opens up the possibilities for a terrific backyard adjacent to the remodeled basement. A full walk-out basement gives homeowners regular sized windows and doors to allow plenty of natural light to teem through to your basement living space. It won’t even feel like a basement!
2. Partial drop in grade
Also called a garden level lot, with a partial drop in grade, the grade of the land allows for some full size windows, but not a door. It’s more attractive than a non-walk-out basement because it allows for some good natural light to lift the atmosphere.
3. Non-walk-out basement
This may not have the natural light the other two basement types have, but it still offers great useful square footage without the hassle of building an addition. It already has walls, floors and electricity, so you are well on your way to creating useful space for you and your family to enjoy.
You can’t put a price tag on making memories
Think about the memories you can make in a freshly remodeled basement. Here are three critical aspects of a finished basement that need to be addressed:
- Lighting—Ample lighting is vital to the atmosphere of your remodeled basement.
- Ceiling height—8 feet or higher ceilings are preferable, and ceilings must be a minimum of 7’6” high.
- Moisture—Find out if you need to install French drains or a sump pump before initiating a basement remodel.
Looking for a interior remodeling contractor near you?
MN Contractor Pros is a home remodeling contractor you can trust. Enjoy knowing that your basement remodel is made of durable, long-lasting, low maintenance materials, your home exterior has the look and feel you’ve wanted and you can now enjoy it for years to come.
Love your home—inside and out
Looking for an interior remodeling and exterior remodeling contractor that builds to last? At MN Contractor Pros, our team of experts are dedicated to reliable craftsmanship and excellent customer service. From our initial visit to your home through the completion of your project, our goal is to exceed your expectations.
Your contractor for life, MN Contractor Pros, offers you the opportunity to stop wasting time and money on DIY projects and get a home remodeling contractor you can trust. Schedule a free consultation.